Granddad Bluffs - 5 miles
Grandad Park was started with the purchase of the land from the state by Judge George Gale (Galesville's namesake) in July 1851. Between 1851 and 1912, there were 83 property transfers. The last owner was Mrs. Ellis B. Usher, daughter of Henry Bliss, who had built the road to the top of Grandad (Bliss Road). Mrs. Usher transferred the deed to Joseph Hixon in 1909 until it could be transferred to the city. Quarrying began on the bluff in 1865. Grandad Bluff was purchased using private donations from Mrs. Frank Hixon ($12,000), plus $3,000 from other La Crosse residents. $2,000 was raised for road construction. The purpose of Grandad Bluff was for park purposes, with a clause providing a site for a water reservoir. For park visitors, a parking lot was constructed 300' from the point in 1931.
(Granddad's Bluff Park